Fresh autopsy of Goa minister`s `partner` ordered
Panaji: A sub-divisional magistrate Tuesday ordered a fresh autopsy of Goa Tourism Minister Mickky Pacheco`s alleged paramour who died after consuming rat poison.
The police are asking why 28-year-old Nadia Torreado took poison. She died in Chennai Sunday, 15 days after consuming the poison.
In response to an application filed by women`s activist Tara Kerkar seeking a fresh autopsy, magistrate Agnelo Fernandes Monday summoned the police and the family of the deceased to give their statements.
"We are trying to probe why she consumed poison. All our energies are channelised in that direction," Superintendent of Police (South Goa) Allen D`Sa told reporters.
Not ruling out a first information report if there are any suspicious findings, D`Sa said police were also trying to figure out the delay behind the victim`s hospitalization.
"In her statement to the police earlier, she said she consumed poison at around 9 a.m. but she was hospitalized only at 3 p.m. There is an element of delay which needs to be looked into," he said.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has demanded that the minister should resign from the cabinet or be dropped in order to facilitate an impartial investigation.
A BJP spokesman Monday alleged that the victim was raped and therefore consumed poison.
Pacheco, a Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) legislator, also faces a bigamy suit, filed by his first wife Sara Pacheco. It is one of the several other criminal complaints lodged against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown