Girl raped by teacher attempts suicide in Goa
Panaji: A teenage girl who was allegedly raped by her teacher last year has attempted suicide at her residence on Monday, police said.
The 17-year-old girl was admitted to Goa Medical College and Hospital at Bambolim near here following severe burn injuries and she is critical, Panaji police inspector Rajendra Prabhudesai said.
Police are trying to verify whether she tried to commit suicide or was set on fire, he said, adding that the Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) will be recording her statement soon.
The girl was with her grandmother at the time of the incident, he said.
She was allegedly raped by her teacher on December 29, 2011, at his residence where she had gone for remedial classes.
The accused had recently got bail by the Bombay High Court at Goa, after being behind bars for six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured