Girl raped by teacher attempts suicide in Goa
Panaji: A teenage girl who was allegedly raped by her teacher last year has attempted suicide at her residence on Monday, police said.
The 17-year-old girl was admitted to Goa Medical College and Hospital at Bambolim near here following severe burn injuries and she is critical, Panaji police inspector Rajendra Prabhudesai said.
Police are trying to verify whether she tried to commit suicide or was set on fire, he said, adding that the Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) will be recording her statement soon.
The girl was with her grandmother at the time of the incident, he said.
She was allegedly raped by her teacher on December 29, 2011, at his residence where she had gone for remedial classes.
The accused had recently got bail by the Bombay High Court at Goa, after being behind bars for six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Islam doesn't allow women to visit graves, Haji Ali Dargah is one of them: Chairman
- Davis Cup: India to host Spain under flood-lights
- India, US eye bilateral trade worth $500 billion: Report
- GST, reforms to boost bilateral trade with India, address biz climate issues: US
- REVEALED: Gianni Infantino says FIFA salary less than USD 2m, well below Sepp Blatter earned