Give more teeth to Goa Lokayukta Bill: Hegde
Panaji: Member of the joint drafting
committee on Lokpal Bill, Santosh Hegde, on Monday said that Goa
Lokayukta Bill needed more teeth to tackle corruption in the
Hegde, who attended a brainstorming session on Goa
Lokayukta Bill here, said that the Bill should give policing
powers to Lokayukta so that he can either conduct a probe or
personally supervise the course of investigation in the cases
"I have studied Goa bill with provisions made in it
but it still requires modifications and changes, which will
make it up to date in today`s context," the Karnataka
Incidentally, earlier in the day, the Digambar Kamat
government said that it was intending to withdraw Lokayukta
Bill, tabled in the state Assembly in 2003, due to implicit
lacuna and legal infirmities.
The former SC judge, who is known for his vigorous
campaign against corruption, said that an important aspect of
Prevention of Corruption Act wherein investigation of a
corruption case cannot be conducted by any police officer
below the rank of DCP, or other than a person authorised by a
notification of state government, is omitted from the Goa
Hegde said that section 36 of Criminal Procedure Code
that deals with "powers of superior officers of police" should
be amended, without referring to President for assent.
"That would give institution (of Lokayukta) the right
to interfere in the investigation which also means supervision
of the investigations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP