Glass liquor bottles to be banned on Goa beaches
Panaji: Drinking an ice-cold beer from that frosted green pint glass bottle may soon be a crime on Goa`s beaches, a senior police officer said on Wednesday.
Goa Director General of Police Kishen Kumar told a news agency that drinking from glass bottles on beaches would no longer be tolerated in Goa.
"Would you like to drink in the open? What kind of human beings like to drink on beaches?" Kishen Kumar asked.
The ban follows lobbying by Calangute legislator Michael Lobo, who has been campaigning against the nuisance caused by glass shards scattered on the state`s beaches.
"I took up the issue with the tourism department and the police. So many tourists complain about injuries caused by broken glass pieces of beer and liquor bottles on the beaches," Lobo said, advocating ban on glass liquor bottles on the state`s beaches.
The tourism department has also asked the police to increase patrolling to check tourists from breaking glass bottles in beach areas.
Goa attracts over 2.6 million tourists annually. The surf, sun and cheap liquor are some of the main draws of the state, which is one of the top beach tourism destinations in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued