Glass liquor bottles to be banned on Goa beaches
Panaji: Drinking an ice-cold beer from that frosted green pint glass bottle may soon be a crime on Goa`s beaches, a senior police officer said on Wednesday.
Goa Director General of Police Kishen Kumar told a news agency that drinking from glass bottles on beaches would no longer be tolerated in Goa.
"Would you like to drink in the open? What kind of human beings like to drink on beaches?" Kishen Kumar asked.
The ban follows lobbying by Calangute legislator Michael Lobo, who has been campaigning against the nuisance caused by glass shards scattered on the state`s beaches.
"I took up the issue with the tourism department and the police. So many tourists complain about injuries caused by broken glass pieces of beer and liquor bottles on the beaches," Lobo said, advocating ban on glass liquor bottles on the state`s beaches.
The tourism department has also asked the police to increase patrolling to check tourists from breaking glass bottles in beach areas.
Goa attracts over 2.6 million tourists annually. The surf, sun and cheap liquor are some of the main draws of the state, which is one of the top beach tourism destinations in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report