Goa: 16 arrested for illegal mining
Panaji: Goa police have arrested 16 people for illegal iron ore mining. Six persons were arrested at Morlem village, 40 km from Panaji, on Saturday, and 12 more were arrested yesterday.
Police Inspector Siddhanth Shirodkar said the ore was
stored at Cotombi, a village on the banks of Mandovi river,
from where it was exported by ships.
Officials said the plot where the iron ore was being
mined illegally had been given to the some locals after their
villages got inundated in floods.
Kamlesh Bandekar, an activist of Bharat Swabhiman Trust
of Baba Ramdev, had complained to the police in this regard.
Several trucks ferrying the ore, driven by migrants from
Jharkhand and Bihar, were confiscated during the police
action. The plot owner too was arrested, police said.
Leader of Opposition Pratapsingh Rane, who represents the
area in the Assembly, demanded in the house today that the
company which bought this ore needed to be investigated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’