Goa: 19 mining leases face licence cancellation
Panaji: The Goa government has initiated the process to revoke licences of 19 mining leases which have been found to be operating within ten-kilometre radius of wildlife sanctuaries or national parks in the state.
State Forest Minister Filipe Nery Rodrigues on Saturday said that they have received a communication from the Karnataka Forest department, quoting data provided by the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) which claims that these mines are working in violation of the Environment Clearances (ECs) granted to them.
Rodrigues said there are few leases which have been found to have given false information to MOEF while applying for EC.
Goa has 90-odd operational mines which tap around 54 million metric tonnes of Iron ore annually, exported to various nations.
The Goa Assembly-constituted Public Accounts Committee (PAC), which is investigating into the illegal mining activity, had pointed out that almost 50 per cent of the ECs granted by the MOEF have major violations.
Rodrigues today said he has asked Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forests, Shashi Kumar to act upon the letter submitted by his Karnataka counterpart. However, Kumar was not available for comment.
The list of mines in the letter include mining leases run by state`s top notch firms including Dempo Mining Corporation, who have sold their leases to Sesa Goa.
The mines which are operating within 10 km radius are owned by VM Salgaoncar Bros and Pandurang Timblo.
Also, there is a mine owned by NCP leader Prafula Hede, next to the national park, which may also face suspension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray