`Goa a haven for drug trade`
Panaji: Stating that drug menace is a reality in the tourist state, Goa Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar warned of action against beach shacks found indulging in narcotics sale.
"Drugs are happening on the coast. Everyone is involved in it. It is a known fact that it is happening," the minister said in response to a question at a press conference here last evening.
He did not elaborate on who all were involved in drug trade in the coastal state, which is a popular destination for both Indian and foreign travellers.
Parulekar was briefing the media on his meeting with Union Minister of State for Tourism K Chiranjeevi in Delhi.
Tourism Department cannot close down beach shacks merely on allegations that drugs are sold there, he said.
The minister was asked whether his department will clamp down on shacks in the wake of a report from Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
In May, NCB indicted a shack at Anjuna, Shiva Valley, after narcotics-related activities were reported from there.
Licence of the shack has been suspended for three years.
Parulekar said if his department receives specific reports about sale of drugs in shacks, their licences would be cancelled.
The shacks, temporary structures on beaches owned privately under Government licence, are currently shut in the State due to ongoing monsoon season.
The minister`s statements come in the backdrop of a BJP legislator, Michael Lobo, submitting a list, of what he claimed drug pushers, to the Director General of Police.
Lobo, who represents Calangute constituency, submitted the list yesterday. "I have given names of four criminals. I hope the police will take strict action against them."
The ruling party MLA said drug trade and consumption have reached alarming proportion in his constituency which has famous beaches like Calangute, Candolim and Baga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city