Goa archbishop quotes from Vedas in pre-New Year address
Panaji: Goa archbishop Filipe Neri Ferrao has quoted extensively from the Sama Veda, an ancient Hindu scripture, in his pre-New Year address to underline the importance of "unity of mankind".
In his address, which was released to the media Thursday, the spiritual leader of the Catholics in Goa, said the genuine development of people depend on the important recognition that the human race is a single family working together in true communion for its common good.
Catholics are an overwhelming majority in the 26 percent Christian population of Goa, which is often considered a model secular state and which in Ferrao`s words - inspired from the ancient scriptures - is like a "one big family".
"The Maha Upanishad states in chapter 6, verse 72, that the entire world is but one big family: Vasudhaiva kutumbakam. And the Church has consistently proclaimed and defended this universal value of unity of humankind throughout her history," Ferrao said.
The Maha Upanishad is a segment of the Sama Veda, considered to be one of the four most sacred texts of the Hinduism, along with the Rig Veda, Atharva Veda and the Yajur Veda.
Drawing parallels between the teachings of the Maha Upanishad and those of Jesus Christ, the archbishop said that "unity of humankind" had been one of the main concerns of Christ.
"The time had come for him (Christ) to be delivered by a traitor into the hands of his enemies, who then would scourge him and nail him to a cross, until he bled to death. At this solemn moment, he has only one prayer on his lips, `Father, I pray that they may all be one. Unity of humankindom his Father in heaven`," Ferrao said.
"Throughout history, humanity has been searching for unity, the same unity that Christ made his one cherished desire and that the Maha Upanishad teaches about," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference