Goa asked to ensure proper mining closure plan is implemented
New Delhi: Environment Ministry on Thursday asked Goa government to ensure that a proper and rigorous mining closure plan is implemented "in quickest possible time" in the eco sensitive zones around the state`s Nethravali Wildlife Sanctuary and Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and National Park.
"It is made clear, that in respect of these two protected areas, Nethravali Wildlife Sanctuary and Bhagwan Mahaveer Wildlife Sanctuary and National Park, no further mining activity will be permitted beyond the time of the phase out period recommended by the State Government of Goa," the Ministry said.
However, this would be subjected to relevant court orders on the subject, it said.
While giving "in principle" approval to a report submitted by a ministry panel, the ministry said that it would soon issue a draft notification on declaration of Eco- Sensitive Zones (ESZs) around six wildlife sanctuaries in Goa.
"In four out of six protected areas, ESZs and restrictions pertaining to banned activities will come into force as soon as the final notification is issued according to law and due procedure," the Ministry said.
On Nethravali Wildlife Sanctuary and Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and National Park, the Ministry said that since the ESZ proposed for them is already "very fragmented" and disturbed due to mining "the state government may be allowed to permit phasing out of mining activities over a period of time which will enable proper rehabilitation, reclamation and restoration and of the eco sensitive zones".
It said "the state government should ensure that a proper and rigorous mining closure plan as per IBM (Indian Bureau of Mines) norms is implemented and rehabilitation and ecological restoration completed in the quickest possible time".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'