Goa Assembly congratulates Pranab Mukherjee
Panaji: Goa Legislative Assembly on Monday congratulated President-elect Pranab Mukherjee on his victory.
"Mukherjee is a seasoned politician with long experience of Delhi politics," said Speaker Rajendra Arlekar, while declaring that the motion congratulating Mukherjee had been passed unanimously.
India will step into a new era under Mukherjee`s guidance, he said.
Leader of Opposition Pratapsingh Rane (Congress), who tabled the motion, said Mukherjee was the right person for President`s office, which is a position of responsibility.
BJP MLA Vishnu Surya Wagh claimed that there was a cross-voting in Goa from Congress in favour of the opposition-backed candidate P A Sangma.
"The cross-voting should be a concern for Congress," he said, while supporting the motion.
Several other legislators including former Chief Minister Digambar Kamat, Mauvin Godinho, Ramakrishna Dhavalikar and Vishwajit Rane spoke on the motion.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview