Goa Assembly narcotics report is political vendetta: Ravi Naik
Panaji: Former Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik, who along with his son, has been indicted by the Goa legislative assembly`s house committee report for alleged nexus with the narcotics mafia, has termed the entire report as "biased".
"The report is totally biased, fabricated and politically motivated," Naik told a press conference here, a day after Goa assembly committee, led by legislator Francisco Miccky Pacheco, tabled the report.
The report has indicted Naik, his son Roy and several senior policemen for their alleged nexus with the narcotics mafia.
Naik, who was Goa`s Home Minister in the Congress-led government during 2007-2012, accused Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar of trying to indulge in "politics" by "framing" him and his son Roy.
Naik said his actions against a few politicians during his tenure as Home Minister had angered them and they are now trying to "avenge" it.
However, he refused to name these politicians.
He also claimed that during his tenure as Home Minister, he had acted against the narcotics mafia with an iron hand, which had upset several politicians in the coastal belt.
The former Home Minister said action against these politicians was initiated by the police department which was given a free hand by him to act as per the law.
Accusing Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar of being the mastermind behind this report, Naik said "two BJP legislators who were part of the committee used their wisdom and preferred not to sign it before tabling it on the floor of the House".
BJP legislators Vishnu Wagh and Michael Lobo had refused to sign the report yesterday expressing their reservations about it.
Naik alleged his son Roy had been unnecessarily dragged into the report without any concrete evidence against him.
The Congress leader said he would discuss the report with the Leader of the Opposition Pratapsingh Rane and develop a "consensus" so that his party (Congress) legislators could oppose it.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged