Goa Assembly narcotics report is political vendetta: Ravi Naik
Panaji: Former Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik, who along with his son, has been indicted by the Goa legislative assembly`s house committee report for alleged nexus with the narcotics mafia, has termed the entire report as "biased".
"The report is totally biased, fabricated and politically motivated," Naik told a press conference here, a day after Goa assembly committee, led by legislator Francisco Miccky Pacheco, tabled the report.
The report has indicted Naik, his son Roy and several senior policemen for their alleged nexus with the narcotics mafia.
Naik, who was Goa`s Home Minister in the Congress-led government during 2007-2012, accused Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar of trying to indulge in "politics" by "framing" him and his son Roy.
Naik said his actions against a few politicians during his tenure as Home Minister had angered them and they are now trying to "avenge" it.
However, he refused to name these politicians.
He also claimed that during his tenure as Home Minister, he had acted against the narcotics mafia with an iron hand, which had upset several politicians in the coastal belt.
The former Home Minister said action against these politicians was initiated by the police department which was given a free hand by him to act as per the law.
Accusing Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar of being the mastermind behind this report, Naik said "two BJP legislators who were part of the committee used their wisdom and preferred not to sign it before tabling it on the floor of the House".
BJP legislators Vishnu Wagh and Michael Lobo had refused to sign the report yesterday expressing their reservations about it.
Naik alleged his son Roy had been unnecessarily dragged into the report without any concrete evidence against him.
The Congress leader said he would discuss the report with the Leader of the Opposition Pratapsingh Rane and develop a "consensus" so that his party (Congress) legislators could oppose it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing