Goa: Audit officer arrested on graft charges
Panaji: An officer attached to the Comptroller Auditor General (CAG) office of Mumbai was arrested by the CBI here for allegedly accepting a bribe from a canteen contractor in Goa.
S Chedda, an assistant audit officer from CAG Mumbai, was arrested here after he was caught while allegedly receiving Rs 20,000 from contractor Balkrishna Shetty.
Shetty runs a canteen in the National Institute of Technology (NIT) at Farmagudi, a village 25 kms away from Panaji.
According to the complainant, Chedda was demanding a bribe to waive Rs 3.6 lakh, which was shown as service tax.
The contractor had claimed that the service tax cannot be levied on him as he was serving the food at subsidised cost in the NIT canteen.
As Chedda was reluctant to buy Shetty`s arguments, the latter went to CBI and filed a complaint.
Chedda has been booked under section 7 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren