Goa: Audit officer arrested on graft charges
Panaji: An officer attached to the Comptroller Auditor General (CAG) office of Mumbai was arrested by the CBI here for allegedly accepting a bribe from a canteen contractor in Goa.
S Chedda, an assistant audit officer from CAG Mumbai, was arrested here after he was caught while allegedly receiving Rs 20,000 from contractor Balkrishna Shetty.
Shetty runs a canteen in the National Institute of Technology (NIT) at Farmagudi, a village 25 kms away from Panaji.
According to the complainant, Chedda was demanding a bribe to waive Rs 3.6 lakh, which was shown as service tax.
The contractor had claimed that the service tax cannot be levied on him as he was serving the food at subsidised cost in the NIT canteen.
As Chedda was reluctant to buy Shetty`s arguments, the latter went to CBI and filed a complaint.
Chedda has been booked under section 7 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!