Goa: Audit officer arrested on graft charges
Panaji: An officer attached to the Comptroller Auditor General (CAG) office of Mumbai was arrested by the CBI here for allegedly accepting a bribe from a canteen contractor in Goa.
S Chedda, an assistant audit officer from CAG Mumbai, was arrested here after he was caught while allegedly receiving Rs 20,000 from contractor Balkrishna Shetty.
Shetty runs a canteen in the National Institute of Technology (NIT) at Farmagudi, a village 25 kms away from Panaji.
According to the complainant, Chedda was demanding a bribe to waive Rs 3.6 lakh, which was shown as service tax.
The contractor had claimed that the service tax cannot be levied on him as he was serving the food at subsidised cost in the NIT canteen.
As Chedda was reluctant to buy Shetty`s arguments, the latter went to CBI and filed a complaint.
Chedda has been booked under section 7 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagwant Mann smells of alcohol, can't sit next to him: Suspended AAP MP Harinder Khalsa
- Simply irresistible! You cannot take your eyes off majestic Priyanka Chopra on Flaunt cover- See it to believe it
- Varun Dhawan, Jacqueline and John Abraham run for their lives in new 'Dishoom' POSTER? Pic inside
- Ruling due on whether IMF chief to face trial in France
- Vodafone reports better-than-expected 2.2% rise in Q1 revenue