Goa: Audit officer arrested on graft charges
Panaji: An officer attached to the Comptroller Auditor General (CAG) office of Mumbai was arrested by the CBI here for allegedly accepting a bribe from a canteen contractor in Goa.
S Chedda, an assistant audit officer from CAG Mumbai, was arrested here after he was caught while allegedly receiving Rs 20,000 from contractor Balkrishna Shetty.
Shetty runs a canteen in the National Institute of Technology (NIT) at Farmagudi, a village 25 kms away from Panaji.
According to the complainant, Chedda was demanding a bribe to waive Rs 3.6 lakh, which was shown as service tax.
The contractor had claimed that the service tax cannot be levied on him as he was serving the food at subsidised cost in the NIT canteen.
As Chedda was reluctant to buy Shetty`s arguments, the latter went to CBI and filed a complaint.
Chedda has been booked under section 7 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official
- Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants