Goa: Audit officer arrested on graft charges
Panaji: An officer attached to the Comptroller Auditor General (CAG) office of Mumbai was arrested by the CBI here for allegedly accepting a bribe from a canteen contractor in Goa.
S Chedda, an assistant audit officer from CAG Mumbai, was arrested here after he was caught while allegedly receiving Rs 20,000 from contractor Balkrishna Shetty.
Shetty runs a canteen in the National Institute of Technology (NIT) at Farmagudi, a village 25 kms away from Panaji.
According to the complainant, Chedda was demanding a bribe to waive Rs 3.6 lakh, which was shown as service tax.
The contractor had claimed that the service tax cannot be levied on him as he was serving the food at subsidised cost in the NIT canteen.
As Chedda was reluctant to buy Shetty`s arguments, the latter went to CBI and filed a complaint.
Chedda has been booked under section 7 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan