Goa awaits green report, SC ruling before giving mining leases
Panaji: The Goa government has started returning applications seeking new mining leases pending a report from National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) and also the Apex Court outcome.
The Supreme Court, which is hearing a petition against illegal mining in Goa, has stopped mining operations in the coastal state.
The BJP-led government has asked Nagpur-based NEERI to assess impact of mining activities on environment and submit a report.
State Mines and Geology Department, which has received 1,144 applications for mining leases or seeking information whether some particular areas can be mined, has started the process of returning them, officials said.
Assistant Director (Mines & Geology) Parag Nagarcekar said a decision on these applications can be taken only after getting a report from NEERI and final judgment of the Supreme Court.
When the mining was banned in Goa in 2012, there were 90 working leases. The state`s mining policy has also made it clear that no new leases will be granted till NEERI report is submitted and examined.
The iron ore exports in the state had been stopped after the Supreme Court took cognisance of illegal mining followed by a probe by Justice M B Shah Commission.
The over one-year-old ban on mining, a key revenue source for the tiny state, has adversely affected Goa`s economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price