Goa begins inquiry against corrupt border toll booth employees
Panaji: The Goa government initiated a high-level inquiry on Wednesday after it was revealed in a media sting operation that government employees were siphoning off toll fee taxes collected at the state`s border areas.
A local television news channel aired the sting operation which showed goa government public works department employees letting in vehicles without paying toll fees at the state borders, after they pay a nominal bribe instead.
Goa government employees were shown collecting bribes of around Rs 500 from trucks without giving them any receipt, while the actual toll fee tax payable is Rs 1000 per truck.
State Public Works Department (PWD) Minister Ramakrishna Dhavalikar told that the department`s principal chief engineer and vigilance officer inspected the Mollem checkpost on the Goa-Karnataka border where the media had exposed bribery.
He said that though allegations of corruption have been proved prima facie, a detailed inquiry would be conducted to ascertain the extent of money which has been siphoned off.
The PWD has installed CCTV cameras at border checkposts, while records of all vehicles entering the state are maintained.
The minister said that records at all checkposts would be verified by a team of department officials.
"All those involved will lose their jobs. We will take action even if we find officers of engineer rank are involved," he said.
Dhavalikar said that he has asked the department to submit a detailed report within seven days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof