Goa BJP holds meeting to keep its flock together
Panaji: The opposition BJP in Goa on Sunday began a
desperate exercise to keep its flock together after two of its
MLAs left the party to join Congress over the last few weeks.
The two legislators, Rajesh Patnekar and Dayanand Sopte,
resigned from the party accusing Goa unit chief and Leader of
Opposition Manohar Parrikar of "not understanding their
feelings" and also citing "better political future in Congress
The BJP held a meeting at the party`s headquarters here
today to take stock of the situation. It was attended by all
the 12 party legislators, sources said.
They also said that Parrikar has launched a desperate
attempt to keep the flock together ahead of state assembly
"We discussed several things. I do not want to brief about
anything. We did discuss resignations by Patnekar and Sopte,"
Parrikar said emerging from the meeting.
When asked to comment on Sopte`s resignation, Parrikar
only said, "I cannot react to his exit".
Sopte was recently nominated as election campaign manager
for North Goa, which has 20 Assembly constituencies.
BJP, which ruled the state for five years till 2005, has
been donning the opposition benches and trying to keep its
members together. It is also struggling to have pre-poll
alliance with Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP) for the
coming election which has so far not shown any willingness to
join hands with it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back