Goa BJP holds meeting to keep its flock together
Panaji: The opposition BJP in Goa on Sunday began a
desperate exercise to keep its flock together after two of its
MLAs left the party to join Congress over the last few weeks.
The two legislators, Rajesh Patnekar and Dayanand Sopte,
resigned from the party accusing Goa unit chief and Leader of
Opposition Manohar Parrikar of "not understanding their
feelings" and also citing "better political future in Congress
The BJP held a meeting at the party`s headquarters here
today to take stock of the situation. It was attended by all
the 12 party legislators, sources said.
They also said that Parrikar has launched a desperate
attempt to keep the flock together ahead of state assembly
"We discussed several things. I do not want to brief about
anything. We did discuss resignations by Patnekar and Sopte,"
Parrikar said emerging from the meeting.
When asked to comment on Sopte`s resignation, Parrikar
only said, "I cannot react to his exit".
Sopte was recently nominated as election campaign manager
for North Goa, which has 20 Assembly constituencies.
BJP, which ruled the state for five years till 2005, has
been donning the opposition benches and trying to keep its
members together. It is also struggling to have pre-poll
alliance with Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP) for the
coming election which has so far not shown any willingness to
join hands with it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Girl's hug prank on strangers backfires. See how – Watch
- Watch: Jeff Williams shares spectacular view of Albuquerque, New Mexico from space!
- Facebook page started by Army man's son will move you with stories of bravery and courage
- Turkey orders 47 newspaper journalists, executives detained
- 'Dishoom' hunks Varun Dhawan-John Abraham relish king-like breakfast, ecstatic for big release! - See pic