Goa blast: Accused Sanstha men called ‘terrorists’
Panaji: The four Sanatan Sanstha (SS) members accused of carrying out the 2009 Diwali-eve blast in Goa were for the first time Tuesday reffered to as "terrorists" by the state home department.
State Home Minister Ravi Naik said in a written reply to the legislative assembly: "In the year 2009/10, four terrorists have been arrested by Goa Police in bomb blast incidents, which took place at Margao and Verna, respectively, on the night of Diwali i.e. on 16/10/2010."
A local court has framed charges against the four members namely Vinay Talekar, Vinayak Patil, Dhananjay Ashtekar and Dilip Mangaonkar.
Five other accused, also members of the SS, are still absconding, according to police.
The accused have been framed under penal provisions dealing with waging war against the government, collecting arms and mischief.
Charges have also been ordered to be framed under various sections of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Explosive Substances Act.
Malgonda Patil and Yogesh Naik, the two SS members who were ferrying detonator-rigged gelatin sticks to a crowded place on Diwali eve, died when the explosive contraption they were carrying exploded accidentally in Margao town in south Goa, 35 km from here.
Luckily, another improvised explosive device (IED) placed in a pick up van near Verna, 25 km from here, did not explode.
Nearly 250 witnesses were examined by police in the course of the investigations, which were taken over by the National Investigation Agency (NIA), after being initially handled by Goa Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing