close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds


`Goa blast accused was an evangelist`

Last Updated: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 16:03

Panaji: The main accused in last year`s Diwali-eve bomb blast case in Goa was an evangelist and used to conduct "satsangs" (religious congregations) in Goa, Maharashtra and Karnataka, according to the charge sheet filed in a local court by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).

The NIA has also said that Malgonda Patil, a member of Hindu rightwing organisation Sanatan Sanstha -- eleven of whose members have been accused of the conspiracy, was residing at the `saints` quarters at the Sanstha`s ashram in Ponda, 30 km from here.

Patil and Yogesh Naik, also of the Sanstha, succumbed to injuries Oct 16, 2009 when the detonator-rigged dynamite sticks they were carrying, to plant at a crowded festive Diwali gathering, exploded accidentally.

"Malgonda Patil was a Bachelor of Arts and was detailed for preaching to readers of Kannada weekly Sanatan Prabhat (newspaper). He used to visit residences of readers for the said purpose," the CBI said in its charge sheet filed last week at the Margao district and sessions court.

The charge sheet further says that Patil, had worked at the Miraj (Maharashtra) ashram of the Sanstha, before joining the head quarters in Goa, "where he was in the management looking after the co-ordination of members of the ashram".

"Malgonda Patil was an active member of the Sanatan Sanstha, Ponda and was involved in the publicity of SS and used to hold satsang at various places and stayed (at the) Abhyasika/Sant Kakshya of the ashram building, (in) Ponda," it said.

Patil and Nayak were among the 11 members accused of last year`s Diwali-eve conspiracy. The NIA, however, has not blamed the Hindu organisation for the conspiracy.

IANS

First Published: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 16:03
comments powered by Disqus