Goa blast case: Sanatan Sanstha member in NIA net
Mumbai: National Investigation Agency
(NIA), probing the 2009 Goa blast, has taken custody of
Sanatan Sanstha member Prashant Juvekar for allegedly
conspiring to carry out the Diwali-eve bombing.
The 24-year-old was arrested by Maharashtra ATS late
last month in an illegal arms seizure case. He was granted
bail in the case by a Nashik court yesterday.
"NIA, probing the Goa blast, has taken the custody of
Juvekar after completing all legal formalities," a senior ATS
official told PTI today.
He was one of the 11 Sanstha members named in the
charge sheet by NIA in the blast in Margao, where two persons
were killed while allegedly ferrying explosives in a scooter.
ATS arrested Juvekar from Bhusawal in Jalgaon district
on July 31. A 7.65 mm pistol and four live cartridges were
recovered from him and he was booked under the Arms Act, the
charge sheet had said.
Juvekar, who hails from Ratnagiri in Maharashtra`s
Konkan region, was in ATS custody till August 3 after which he
was sent in judicial custody by the Nashik court.
With Juvekar in NIA custody, the number of suspects
arrested in the blast case has gone up to six. Those named in
the charge sheet include Malgonda Patil and Yogesh Naik, who
were killed in the October 2009 explosion.
According to the ATS, Juvekar was a prime conspirator
and had met Patil on August 23 last year. The duo went to a
secluded location where the former was trained in making
explosives and they discussed the blast conspiracy, it said.
Since the blast, Juvekar had been frequently changing
his location to evade arrest, police said, adding he stayed in
Malad here for sometime and travelled to places like Baroda,
Rajkot, Ahmedabad, Lucknow, Delhi, Varanasi and Bihar.
The other five arrested are Vinay Talekar, Vinayak
Patil, Dhananjay Ashtekar, Dilip Mangaonkar and Prashant
Ashtekar. The absconding accused are Sarang Akolkar,
Jayaprakash alias Anna and Rudra Patil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Merger with Samajwadi Party difficult, can forge alliance: Mukhtar Ansari
- Pakistan forces seal MQM party headquarters after TV station attack
- Suspended AAP MP Dharamvira Gandhi floats new front
- Now, get your email address in Hindi
- None of your concern, says Indian Army after China's warning over deployment of BrahMos missile in Arunachal