Goa building adjoining crash site to be demolished
Panaji: The Goa government will demolish a poorly constructed building adjoining the crash site at Canacona, where a collapsed building Saturday killed 17 construction workers, authorities said.
At least 12 people, mostly labourers, are still believed to be trapped under the debris, and authorities believe their chances of survival are bleak.
The decision to demolish the adjoining building was taken late Monday at a meeting of engineers and state administration officials which was chaired by Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
"The building has developed cracks and has tilted by a metre at least and is a risk to workers engaged in the rescue efforts at the crash site," an official who attended the meeting said.
The official said the demolition process could be started Tuesday or the following day after examination of the damaged building.
Police also arrested Deputy Town Planner Prakash Bandodkar, who cleared the project. Superintendent of Police Shekhar Prabhudessai said other accused were untraceable.
"We are on the lookout for the others," Prabhudessai said.
The promoters of the real estate company which built the ill-fated Ruby Residence - Parkash Birring, Jaideep Sehgal and Vishwas Dessai - are missing, and Dessai has applied for anticipatory bail at a court. Ajay Desai, a municipal engineer, who is also responsible for clearing the project, is missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends