Goa building collapse: Death toll mounts to 24
Panaji: With the recovery of three more bodies from the debris, the death toll in Canacona building collapse in Goa has risen to 24 even as the operation to remove the rubble has entered its final phase.
"We recovered three more bodies from the debris of the building last night and search is on for more," Ashok Menon, incharge of rescue operation, said today.
He said the rescue operation had been continuing manually after buildings adjacent to the site tilted.
The demolition of these buildings is likely to start today, he added.
More than 40 people were trapped under the debris when the under-construction five-storey building caved in on Saturday afternoon.
Rescuers have since managed to pull out 16 people alive from the debris.
Police had arrested Deputy Town Planner Prakash Bandodkar on Monday night in connection with the collapse.
However, Municipal Engineer Ajay Desai and three directors of a property firm (Bharat Realtors and Developers), constructing the structure, are still untraceable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi