Goa building collapse: Death toll mounts to 31, operations withdrawn
Panaji: The death toll in Canacona building collapse has reached 31 with rescuers on Tuesday pulling out the last body from under the rubble before finally calling off the operations.
Director of Fire and Emergency Services Ashok Menon said the rescue operations stood withdrawn from 3 pm onwards.
"The total number of casualties in the building collapse has gone up to 31," he said.
The operation was stopped after authorities certified there are no more dead bodies under the debris of the five-storey under construction building that had caved in on January 4.
Over 40 workers were present at the site when the mishap occurred.
The rescue teams which pulled out 16 people alive had suspended their operation earlier after two adjacent buildings near the spot tilted.
State police have so far arrested two government officials, including a deputy collector, in connection with the incident whereas the builder and contractor of the project still remain untraceable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals
- Online application process for NEET II from today. Check www.aipmt.nic.in