Zee Media Bureau
Panaji: The death toll in the Goa building collapse increased to 18 on Tuesday even as the rescue operation in the Canacona building collapse in Goa resumed today after it was halted following the tilting of adjacent buildings which posed as a threat.
“There are no possibilities of survivors now,” said Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar while talking to reporters.
At least 12 people are still feared to be trapped under the debris, authorities said.
“The manual rescue operation of the building will resume now. The building that collapsed had faulty design and the quality of construction appeared to be of bad quality too,” said Parrikar.
A lookout notice has now also been issued against the missing contractor and builder of the building that collapsed last week in Canacona killing 17 people.
The construction work at the building was being carried out by a Navi Mumbai-based real estate development firm, Bharat Developers and Realtors Pvt Ltd.
The builder Vishwas Desai and contractor Jaideep Saigal were absconding after the incident.
The rescue operation was halted on Monday after two adjacent five-storey buildings were weakened due to constant drilling. The buildings were yet to be completed and were constructed by the same builder who constructed the building that collapsed.
The adjacent buildings will now be demolished after their examination is done.
Police arrested Deputy Town Planner Prakash Bandodkar who had cleared the project.