Goa building collapse: Two senior govt officials held
Panaji: Goa Crime Branch on Wednesday arrested two senior government officials in connection with the last month`s building collapse that left more than 30 people dead.
Additional District Collector (North) Dipak Desai and Deputy Collector (Bicholim) Pradip Naik were placed under arrest by the crime branch, which had been questioning them for the last two days.
Superintendent of Police (Crime Branch) Karthik Kashyap confirmed the arrests.
Both the officers were earlier chief officer of Canacona Municipal Council and had signed various permissions for the controversial building complex.
A senior crime branch official said these officials were responsible for giving occupancy certificate for the project, where more than 30 workers were killed after the five-storey under-construction building came crashing at Canacona on January 4.
The crime branch has already arrested three government officers ? deputy town planner Prakash Bandodkar, chief officer Prashant Shirodkar and?municipal engineer Ajay Desai - during the course of probe in the case.
A builder and directors of Bharat Realtors and Developers Private Limited, who were booked by police in the case, are still on the run.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why