Goa Carnival: 50,000 people participate
Panaji: Around 50,000 people basked in
the festivities for the first day of the Carnival festival
Floats, dancers and artistes dressed in fancy clothes
marched past Dayanand Bandodkar road alongside the picturesque
Mandovi River this evening. The parade was flagged off by the
state Chief Minister Digamber Kamat in the presence of Tourism
Minister Fransisco Pacheco.
The Goa Tourism Development Corporation, in
association with local civic body ? City Corporation of Panaji
(CCP) had put up this annual parade, in which around 50
Rest of the main cities of Goa will host the parade
for the next three days, when mythological imaginary figure
King Momo will rule over the state. The main float had King
Momo on it which followed other creative floats. The State
Tourism Department, which conceived this event as a major
tourist attraction, sponsors the main float, which will go
around the state for the next three days.
Mark Dias, a bar tenderer of a cruise ship, has been
selected to don as a King Momo, who will lead all the float
parades in the state this year.State Tourism Minister Pacheco
said that the event has been a big tourist drawer and being
unique to Goa. The event has been marketed worldwide.
A strong policemen security was in place along the
road as the three-hour-long parade went on peacefully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video