Goa Casinos to keep a watch on VVIPs
Panaji: Politicians, judges, military officers and PSU heads who have gambling instincts, Beware!.
Guidelines issued by the Goa government under a notification makes it mandatory for casinos to carry out special checks on the Politically Exposed Person (PEP) and keeping certain identified sections of people under the scanner.
"PEP is an individual who is or has been representing prominent public functions in a foreign country, head of states or of governments, senior politicians, senior judicial or military officers, senior executive of state-owned corporations or important political party official," according to the notification.
The anti-money laundering and financing of terrorism guidelines, 2013 unveiled by the Home Ministry yesterday are aimed at keeping a strict check on casinos operating in the tourist states so that they do not indulge in illegal money transactions.
An estimated 24 lakh tourists including four lakh from abroad visited Goa last year. Casinos in the coastal state are hugely popular with tourists.
The guidelines makes it mandatory for the casino operators to know the identity of the customer and source of the person`s money before he or she is allowed to gamble by putting KYC (Know Your Customer) norms in place.
It will also be now compulsory for the casino operators to report a financial transaction of more than Rs 10 lakh to the financial intelligence unit of the Union Government.
All the relevant data related to customers should be compulsorily preserved for at least 10 years, the notification said.
Goa has four off-shore casinos currently operating in Mandovi river alongside Panaji city while a dozen on-shore ones are located at various five-star hotels.
Officials said the objective of the guidelines is to prevent casinos from being used, intentionally or unintentionally, by criminal elements for money laundering or terrorist financing activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday