Goa Church backs English as teaching medium
Panaji: The Goa Church, which runs more than 100 educational institutions in the state, has backed English as a medium of instruction while supporters of regional languages plan to stage a mammoth rally against it.
The Archdiocesan Board of Education (ABE), in an official statement issued here Wednesday, said English should also be permitted as the medium of instruction besides Konkani, Marathi or a regional language in aided primary schools.
"The actual demand of parents, specifically with regard to aided primary schools, is that English should also be permitted as the medium of instruction, besides Konkani, Marathi/regional language, according to the parents` choice; and that Marathi/Konkani should continue as one of the compulsory subjects throughout elementary education," the ABE has said.
The church has supported the Forum for Rights of Children`s Education (FORCE), a parents` front backed by a section of Catholic politicians and the clergy, which wants English as the teaching medium.
But the Bharatiya Bhasha Suraksha Manch (BBSM), supported by a section of freedom fighters and rightwing protagonists, has backed both Konkani and Marathi languages as a medium of instruction.
BBSM has planned a rally against the move April 6.
The debate in Goa comes against the backdrop of the central Right to Education (RTE) Act, which envisions the child`s mother tongue - in Goa`s case Konkani -- as the medium of instruction. The act is scheduled to be ratified in the state Assembly soon.
At present, the Goa government offers aid and grants only to schools in which Konkani or Marathi is used. Schools with English as the medium of instruction are not provided government grant-in-aid.
The ABE in its statement said that while English should be the language of instruction in schools, Konkani should be made a compulsory language, so that newer generations are in sync with their culture.
"The Archdiocesan Board of Education has decided, after careful deliberations, that this demand is in the best interests of the Konkani language and culture; and, in the specific circumstances of Goa in 2011, it is also in the best interests of the children, especially from poorer sections," the press note stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly