Goa churches hold special prayers after election of new Pope
Panaji: Special prayers were held during regular mass in Goa churches on Thursday after Pope Francis was elected to lead the world`s 1.2 billion Roman Catholics.
Goa, which has 27 percent population believing in the Catholic faith, was holding prayers for the new Pope right from the day when Pope Benedict XVI announced his resignation from the papacy.
"It is a pleasant surprise for us. We were always sure that the Church which belongs to Jesus is guided by him," Fr Francisco Caldeira, spokesman of Archdiocesan of Goa and Daman, told reporters today.
"For us nationalities are not important. What is important is commitment to Jesus," he said.
The parishioners were also seen discussing the humble nature of the newly inducted Pope, which according to some reports includes his regular bus drive to the simple downtown apartment he chose over an opulent Church estate.
"From biographical data available about the new Pope, it is our firm conviction that he will guide the Church in this turbulent time. He is simple. He is humble. He is connected with the people which are the qualities which Jesus had and witness to," Fr Caldeira said.
Fr Savio Barretto, rector of Bom Jesus Basilica, where the relics of St Francis Xavier are preserved, termed the news as "thrilling."
"We are thrilled that we have a Pope who is not European. He is a Jesuit. I am proud to have a Pope who is our order," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!