Goa CIC delay: Manohar Parrikar quotes from Bible
Panaji: Goa`s BJP Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar quoted from the Bible on Tuesday to explain the delay behind the appointment of the state`s chief information commissioner (CIC).
Parrikar was responding to a Zero Hour mention raised by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Nilesh Cabral, who expressed concern about the delay in appointing a CIC for nearly a year now.
Parrikar explained a story from the Bible involving a woman accused of adultery and Jesus Christ.
"Even in the Bible, it says look at yourself and ask if you have not made any mistake at all before pointing to others," Parrikar said.
Over the last one year, two people selected by the Goa government for the CIC post could not take office, after civil society activists pointed out irregularities in their appointments.
In this context, an impassionate Parrikar told the Assembly that people should look at themselves and ask if they have not erred at all in their lives before pointing fingers at those selected for the CIC post.
The Biblical anecdote which Parrikar referred to involved a woman who was tied to a stake for being stoned to death.
At that time, Jesus Christ steps in and asked the crowd which has gathered to stone the alleged adulteress if they have not sinned at all in their lives.
"He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her," said Parrikkar quoting Christ from Bible.
Pandurang Nadkarni, the first candidate selected for the post of the CIC, had refused to take up the post after a controversy erupted over his academic qualifications.
The second candidate for the post, P Paduwal became controversial as he was being probed by the state vigilance department.
"We need a good person who will give good judgments. And the person who will be appointed as the chief information commissioner should also have a thick skin because of the criticism that (he/she) might have to face," the Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai