Goa clergy demands police officer`s dismissal
Panaji: A section of the Goa Christian clergy on demanded the dismissal of a police inspector, who along with a Mumbai-based hotel promoter has been accused of covering up the alleged murder of a parishioner.
Father Kevin Rodrigues, a chaplain at Arossim church, and Father Eremito Rebello, rector of the Blessed Vaz shrine, met Director General of Police (DGP) Aditya Arya here and sought the dismissal of police Inspector Jivba Dalvi.
According to them, Dalvi had tried to cover up the murder of Melvyn Gomes, a resident of Arossim village, 40 km from here in south Goa.
Gomes was found dead in the septic tank of a holiday resort near the village on Monday.
"The DGP told us that he had transferred Dalvi and that he will not be in charge of the investigation any more. But we want him dismissed. He has tried to cover up a homicide by dismissing it as a drowning death," Kevin told reporters outside the police headquarters here.
He claimed that Gomes was privy to critical information about an upcoming real estate project, because of which he was killed.
Rebello said that the entire village of Arossim was up in arms over the behaviour of the police officer in relation to the case.
"The police even ignored the injuries on the body which were visible. They are intent in covering up the case. The Goa Police will have to face an agitation if the culprits are not brought to book," said Rebello, who met the DGP along with ruling Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) legislator Mickky Pacheco.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information