Goa CM assures crackdown on foreigners selling drugs
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar Tuesday promised a crackdown on foreigners illegally staying or carrying out businesses, especially in narcotics, in the state.
Parrikar was responding to a calling attention motion in the state assembly.
Legislators across party lines Tuesday discussed ways to crack down on foreign nationals conducting businesses illegally and Nigerians allegedly involved in the drug trade in the state.
Earlier in the day, ruling Bharatiya Janata Party legislator Michael Lobo said tourists from Russia and Ukraine were "stealing" taxi and beach-shack businesses from local youths in the tourism-oriented coastal belt.
"They come as tourists and steal businesses from local youths. Russians especially are doing this taxi business illegally, stealing opportunities from the local youths," Lobo said.
He said a lot of popular shacks along the coastline were operated by foreigners.
Goa`s local taxi industry is unorganised and largely unruly, with no standardisation of fares nor proper compliance of government norms.
Against this backdrop, foreign travel operators, essentially from Russia, have started scooping up the tour business.
While some have been carrying out businesses legally, Lobo claimed there were several who arrive on tourist visas and work as tour guides and tour operators.
Russians account for the highest number of foreign tourists to Goa which attracts three million visitors annually, nearly half a million of which are foreigners.
Leader of Opposition Pratapsingh Rane claimed African nationals were selling drugs openly in Goa and the increasing clout of the drug mafia was spilling out on Goa`s roads.
"They are selling drugs and spoiling the name of the state and putting young people at risk," Rane said.
Responding to issues raised by the legislators, Parrikar promised action and deportation of "those who are illegally staying and doing business have to be immediately deported".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know