Goa CM hostage to mining lobby, alleges AAP
Panaji: Alleging that Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar was "hostage" to the mining lobby in the state, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has reiterated its demand to set up a corporation for this industry.
"AAP Goa reiterates the urgency of its previous demand of setting up a mining corporation in Goa to release our natural resources from the grip of the private mining companies and rejuvenate the economy and ecology of Goa," Goa unit of AAP said in a statement released here yesterday.
AAP has appreciated Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s statement he made during his Goa visit last week, about not limiting the mining adventures simply to extract precious natural resources and bolster the economy of other countries to which they get exported, but to convert iron ore to steel and other finished products that will generate jobs and boost the local economy.
"This message should be heard loud and clear by all those mining companies preparing to be active again in Goa, and strictly enforced by the Goa CM, who sadly appears to still be hostage to this rapacious lobby despite the bitter lesson learnt through ban on mining activities for the past two years," the statement reads.
AAP has welcomed Modi`s statement that tough stand needs to be taken to revive country`s economy.
"This appears to be aimed at preparing the country for higher taxes and less subsidies and generally more austere spending by the central government.
"While AAP Goa understands that some such steps may be necessary, we sincerely hope that the said bitter medicine would not be administered to the already ailing aam aadmi, and hope that the corporate sector would also be shouldering its fair share of such burden," it said.
AAP Goa has also exhorted the PM to take further steps that go beyond just words to recover black money, eliminate corruption, and generally reduce wasteful spending to help relieve the already onerous burden on the common man who is struggling to make ends meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand