Goa CM Parrikar decides to have minimum security
Panaji: On the first day in the office, Goa
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Friday asked the police to
review the security provided to all the VIPs, and said he
himself would have only a minimal security cover.
He told PTI that he would travel with a single personal
security officer (PSO), and use an escort car only if required
genuinely. "I need not be afraid of anyone in my own state. I
don`t know why previous Chief Ministers used to have so many
securitymen," he said.
The new CM also said that he would not have any security
at his private residence in Mapusa town.
Within hours of taking the charge, Parrikar ordered
security review of all VIPs including former Chief Ministers
"Security review is applicable even for current Chief
Minister and ministers," he said, reading the notings of the
first cabinet meeting.
Parrikar, as opposition leader, had questioned in the
assembly the excessive security provided to the ministers in
the Digambar Kamat government. It was also alleged that
policemen were being used for minister`s personal chores such
ferrying kids to and from the school.
Parrikar also said that the cabinet today decided to ask
Goa Sadan, a state government-run body in New Delhi, to follow
up the progress of Goa Lokayukta Bill.
"The bill was sent to Governor on January 21 and
thereafter referred to Centre (for President`s assent)," he
The BJP-led government has also decided to fulfil its
promise of plastic garbage-free highways. "PWD has been asked
to submit a report on how they will clean up and collect the
garbage and what would be the dumping site," he said.
The government today also decided to re-nominate heads of
all the state-run corporations by replacing Congress-led
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra to campaign outside Amethi and Rae Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections?
- 'India stalling dialogue with Pakistan to avoid negotiations on Kashmir'
- Cancer woes: Parsley, dill can actually be the cure!
- Spine chilling! French swimmer Yannick Agnel promises to swim around the Nordic island if Iceland win Euro 2016
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 second flash sale on July 5; registrations open