Goa CM seeks details about suspension of ‘alert’ C
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has sought details about suspension of a Constable, who was reportedly punished for asking a Delhi journalist to show his identity card when he was found walking on a beach near here at midnight.
The Constable questioned the journalist, who is in his mid-50s, when he spotted him with a young girl on Miramar beach at midnight last week and asked him to show his ID. The Constable was off-duty and reportedly informed Police Control Room (PCR) about the couple.
"I have read media reports which claimed that he was suspended for asking ID proof of a journalist. I will seek details about the suspension," Parrikar, who also holds the Home portfolio, said today.
He said the policeman can petition him if he thinks injustice has been done to him.
The media reports claimed the Delhi-based scribe had called up a top bureaucrat of Goa after the incident. The bureaucrat, in turn, asked a senior police officer to suspend the Constable.
Sources close to the Constable said he was only following the State Government`s advice to policemen that they should be vigilant even if they are off-duty.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended