Goa CM seeks details about suspension of ‘alert’ C
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has sought details about suspension of a Constable, who was reportedly punished for asking a Delhi journalist to show his identity card when he was found walking on a beach near here at midnight.
The Constable questioned the journalist, who is in his mid-50s, when he spotted him with a young girl on Miramar beach at midnight last week and asked him to show his ID. The Constable was off-duty and reportedly informed Police Control Room (PCR) about the couple.
"I have read media reports which claimed that he was suspended for asking ID proof of a journalist. I will seek details about the suspension," Parrikar, who also holds the Home portfolio, said today.
He said the policeman can petition him if he thinks injustice has been done to him.
The media reports claimed the Delhi-based scribe had called up a top bureaucrat of Goa after the incident. The bureaucrat, in turn, asked a senior police officer to suspend the Constable.
Sources close to the Constable said he was only following the State Government`s advice to policemen that they should be vigilant even if they are off-duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon