Goa CM wants Chidambaram to apologise over IPS appointments
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday demanded an apology from Union Home Minister P Chidambaram for "unilaterally appointing IPS officers" in the state, "without taking the state government into confidence".
The BJP government in Goa has even started refusing to accept the appointments of IPS officers in the state made by the Union Home Ministry.
Talking to reporters in Panaji today, Parrikar said he had sought an apology from the Union Ministry for making appointments without taking the state government into confidence.
Holding the Union Home Minister responsible for the "mess" over appointments, Parrikar said, "Chidambaram is not my boss. We are equal."
"The Union Home Ministry should apologise to me because they have started unilaterally appointing IPS officers in Goa," the Chief Minister said, adding that the ministry was also issuing renewal order of the officers, who were already posted in Goa, without consulting the Goa government.
"They are doing this without consulting me. I have started refusing every order of the Home ministry pertaining to the appointment of IPS officers," Parrikar said.
Goa government, he said, is already in the process of creating independent cadres of IPS and IAS officers for the state.
"I have asked the Chief Secretary to move a proposal for creation of Goa`s own IPS and IAS cadre," he said, adding that currently the state was under Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Mizoram and Union Territories (AGMU) cadre.
The CM said the law and order situation in the state was much more under control as compared to the past.
Admitting that lack of manpower in the police force was an impediment, Parrikar announced that 186 constables and 45 police sub inspectors will be recruited in the near future.
"All these appointments would be corruption-free and entirely based on merit," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report