Goa CM wants Chidambaram to apologise over IPS appointments
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday demanded an apology from Union Home Minister P Chidambaram for "unilaterally appointing IPS officers" in the state, "without taking the state government into confidence".
The BJP government in Goa has even started refusing to accept the appointments of IPS officers in the state made by the Union Home Ministry.
Talking to reporters in Panaji today, Parrikar said he had sought an apology from the Union Ministry for making appointments without taking the state government into confidence.
Holding the Union Home Minister responsible for the "mess" over appointments, Parrikar said, "Chidambaram is not my boss. We are equal."
"The Union Home Ministry should apologise to me because they have started unilaterally appointing IPS officers in Goa," the Chief Minister said, adding that the ministry was also issuing renewal order of the officers, who were already posted in Goa, without consulting the Goa government.
"They are doing this without consulting me. I have started refusing every order of the Home ministry pertaining to the appointment of IPS officers," Parrikar said.
Goa government, he said, is already in the process of creating independent cadres of IPS and IAS officers for the state.
"I have asked the Chief Secretary to move a proposal for creation of Goa`s own IPS and IAS cadre," he said, adding that currently the state was under Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Mizoram and Union Territories (AGMU) cadre.
The CM said the law and order situation in the state was much more under control as compared to the past.
Admitting that lack of manpower in the police force was an impediment, Parrikar announced that 186 constables and 45 police sub inspectors will be recruited in the near future.
"All these appointments would be corruption-free and entirely based on merit," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference