Goa coast put on alert following LeT threat
Panaji: Goa was put on alert on Wednesday following intelligence inputs about a possible terror attack on the coastal state by Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT).
State Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, while confirming the alert, said that "it was of a general nature".
"The alert is not particularly for Goa. It is of a general nature," Parrikar told a news agency today.
The captain of ports, Goa government`s department dealing with the ships, yesterday asked the fishing community to be alert.
The communication circulated to the fishing community reads that there is possibility of LeT attack on the west coast of India.
Besides the fishing vessels, which are currently on shore due to the ongoing fishing ban, the off shore casinos anchored in Mandovi river are also put on alert.
Police are coordinating with the Indian coast guard and the Navy on the issue, a senior official said.
In the Konkan region of Maharashtra too the alert is sounded, Superintendent of Police, Sindhudurg (Maharashtra), Abhishekh Trimukhe, who was here to hold a meeting on security issues with his Goa counterparts said.
The intelligence gathering has been heightened along the coast, he said.
"We are in touch with Indian Coast guard on regular basis. The patrolling on the beaches has also been increased," Trimukhe added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you