Goa collapse: 2 more bodies pulled out; death toll climbs to 27
Panaji: Two more bodies were pulled out on Saturday from the debris of the Canacona building collapse here, taking the death toll in the mishap to 27.
Bodies of two men were extricated from the rubble this morning as rescue operations entered the seventh day, Director of Fire and Emergency Services Ashok Menon told a news agency.
The five-storey building at Canacona town, 70 kms from here, had caved in last Saturday.
The rescuers had began clearing the debris little after the tragedy but met with a roadblock on Monday when they had to withdraw operations due to threat to adjacent buildings following which manual rescue work began on Tuesday.
Sixteen people were thereafter pulled alive out of the wreckage.
Menon said that the rescue operations will get over by this evening and more bodies are feared trapped inside.
Earlier this week, police arrested a senior town and country planning department officer holding him responsible for licensing faulty buildings while several others including the builders are on the run.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks