Goa collapse: 2 more bodies pulled out; death toll climbs to 27
Panaji: Two more bodies were pulled out on Saturday from the debris of the Canacona building collapse here, taking the death toll in the mishap to 27.
Bodies of two men were extricated from the rubble this morning as rescue operations entered the seventh day, Director of Fire and Emergency Services Ashok Menon told a news agency.
The five-storey building at Canacona town, 70 kms from here, had caved in last Saturday.
The rescuers had began clearing the debris little after the tragedy but met with a roadblock on Monday when they had to withdraw operations due to threat to adjacent buildings following which manual rescue work began on Tuesday.
Sixteen people were thereafter pulled alive out of the wreckage.
Menon said that the rescue operations will get over by this evening and more bodies are feared trapped inside.
Earlier this week, police arrested a senior town and country planning department officer holding him responsible for licensing faulty buildings while several others including the builders are on the run.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack