Goa: Cong leaders clash during meeting with Rahul
Panaji: The bickering in Goa Congress came to fore during the local leaders` interaction with Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi here Thursday.
Some leaders including Alemao brothers Churchill and Joaquim, both of whom lost in the Assembly elections, blamed former Chief Minister Digambar Kamat for Congress`s rout, sources said.
Gandhi met several party leaders and workers before addressing national executive of National Students Union of India (NSUI) later in the day.
Sources said in the meeting with Rahul, Churchill Alemao, former PWD Minister, said that Kamat was responsible for the current situation of the party in Goa.
Kamat ruled the state from 2007 to 2012, before losing power to BJP in March this year.
But a few other leaders told the Congress general secretary that hogging of tickets by family-members of prominent leaders was also a factor.
Congress leader Mauvin Godinho told reporters that there were "discussions on various issues including about rejuvenating the party organisation in Goa" and "in the coming days, there will be some changes in the organisation".
The current ban on mining in Goa also came up for discussions with Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees