Goa: Cong leaders clash during meeting with Rahul
Panaji: The bickering in Goa Congress came to fore during the local leaders` interaction with Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi here Thursday.
Some leaders including Alemao brothers Churchill and Joaquim, both of whom lost in the Assembly elections, blamed former Chief Minister Digambar Kamat for Congress`s rout, sources said.
Gandhi met several party leaders and workers before addressing national executive of National Students Union of India (NSUI) later in the day.
Sources said in the meeting with Rahul, Churchill Alemao, former PWD Minister, said that Kamat was responsible for the current situation of the party in Goa.
Kamat ruled the state from 2007 to 2012, before losing power to BJP in March this year.
But a few other leaders told the Congress general secretary that hogging of tickets by family-members of prominent leaders was also a factor.
Congress leader Mauvin Godinho told reporters that there were "discussions on various issues including about rejuvenating the party organisation in Goa" and "in the coming days, there will be some changes in the organisation".
The current ban on mining in Goa also came up for discussions with Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre