Goa Cong MLAs in verbal duel over girls covering faces with scarf
Panaji: Two Congress legislators were locked in a war of words today during the Assembly session here, bringing differences among party MLAs to the fore.
Objecting to a calling attention motion moved by his own party colleague Alexio Reginaldo Lourenco where he expressed apprehensions over an increasing trend among women covering faces with scarfs while riding bikes, Congress MLA Mauvin Godinho said, it was an insult to women.
When girls wear scarfs, it becomes difficult to know their identity and anti-social elements like terrorists can go unnoticed, Lourenco said.
Responding to the motion, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said, wearing scarf is not banned as per law and girls do wear it to protect themselves from ultraviolet (UV) rays.
"There is no such intelligence report to claim that terrorists are hiding behind scarfs. Also we cannot term it as an attempt to conceal identity," Parrikar responded.
Even as the Chief Minister was about to finish his statement, Godinho intervened and objected to moving of such a motion.
"This is an insult to the fairer sex. Such kind of calling attention motions should not be allowed to be moved," he said, evoking strong reactions from Lourenco.
"He (Godinho) can`t cast aspersions on me," he objected. As the verbal duel between both legislators intensified, it was left with the Chief Minister to intervene.
"This is not Congress House," Parrikar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir