Goa Cong MLAs in verbal duel over girls covering faces with scarf
Panaji: Two Congress legislators were locked in a war of words today during the Assembly session here, bringing differences among party MLAs to the fore.
Objecting to a calling attention motion moved by his own party colleague Alexio Reginaldo Lourenco where he expressed apprehensions over an increasing trend among women covering faces with scarfs while riding bikes, Congress MLA Mauvin Godinho said, it was an insult to women.
When girls wear scarfs, it becomes difficult to know their identity and anti-social elements like terrorists can go unnoticed, Lourenco said.
Responding to the motion, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said, wearing scarf is not banned as per law and girls do wear it to protect themselves from ultraviolet (UV) rays.
"There is no such intelligence report to claim that terrorists are hiding behind scarfs. Also we cannot term it as an attempt to conceal identity," Parrikar responded.
Even as the Chief Minister was about to finish his statement, Godinho intervened and objected to moving of such a motion.
"This is an insult to the fairer sex. Such kind of calling attention motions should not be allowed to be moved," he said, evoking strong reactions from Lourenco.
"He (Godinho) can`t cast aspersions on me," he objected. As the verbal duel between both legislators intensified, it was left with the Chief Minister to intervene.
"This is not Congress House," Parrikar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case
- SHOCKING! 1,012 rapes in UP in last 5 months, says govt