Goa Cong submits report on Cortalim by-poll fiasco
Panaji: Goa Congress leaders on Monday submitted a report about Cortalim by-poll fiasco -- where the party candidate withdrew from the fray paving way for unopposed election of BJP`s Alina Saldanha -- to the high command.
Goa Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) president Subhash Shirodkar said that the investigation report was submitted ahead of today`s meeting of the Congress Working Committee in the national capital.
"I can`t discuss the details of the report but it does dwell on the reasons why and how the official candidate withdrew from the fray without taking party into confidence," Shirodkar said.
GPCC President denied that the report proposes expulsion of few prominent party leaders for allegedly engineering the withdrawal in connivance with ruling BJP.
"No expulsion is recommended," Shirodkar said.
The Cortalim by-poll was scheduled for tomorrow. But on May 21, Congress`s Raymond D`Sa and independent candidate Ramakant Borkar withdrew from the fray. D`Sa alleged that the Congress leaders in Goa did not provide him necessary support.
Congress then formed a committee comprising Shirodkar, Leader of Opposition Pratapsingh Rane, former Chief Minister Digambar Kamat and a legislator Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco to look into the episode.
All India Congress Committee General Secretary, Jagmit Singh Brar, who is Goa desk in-charge, had alleged that BJP masterminded the withdrawal by threatening the Congress candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video