Goa Congress demands ban on off shore casinos
Panaji: The Congress party Tuesday demanded that off shore casino vessels be banned in Goa holding them responsible for pollution in Mandovi river, the water of which has been certified as unsafe for bathing and fishing.
"The high level of bacteria present in River Mandovi water is going to be an environmental hazard affecting the people living around this waterbody. The off shore casino vessels are obvious reasons for this pollution. We demand immediate ban on these vessels," Goa Congress spokesman Ulhas Parab told reporters today.
The recent report by Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB) had established high level of bacterial presence in Mandovi certifying that it was not fit for bathing, fishing and water sports activity.
The Board had claimed that the bacterial presence was due to release of sewerage in the water, but had said that the off shore casino vessels were not releasing their untreated sewerage in it.
Parab said the bacterial presence is 65 per cent more than the permissible levels, due to which people who are depending on the fishing activity in this river are likely to suffer.
"How can pollution control board give clean chit to off shore casinos when the reason for the high level of bacteria is release of sewerage. There is no other source of sewerage other than off shore casinos here," the spokesman claimed.
GSPCB had conducted the study following the directives of National Green Tribunal which is currently hearing the case against off shore casino vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant