Goa Congress demands ban on off shore casinos
Panaji: The Congress party Tuesday demanded that off shore casino vessels be banned in Goa holding them responsible for pollution in Mandovi river, the water of which has been certified as unsafe for bathing and fishing.
"The high level of bacteria present in River Mandovi water is going to be an environmental hazard affecting the people living around this waterbody. The off shore casino vessels are obvious reasons for this pollution. We demand immediate ban on these vessels," Goa Congress spokesman Ulhas Parab told reporters today.
The recent report by Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB) had established high level of bacterial presence in Mandovi certifying that it was not fit for bathing, fishing and water sports activity.
The Board had claimed that the bacterial presence was due to release of sewerage in the water, but had said that the off shore casino vessels were not releasing their untreated sewerage in it.
Parab said the bacterial presence is 65 per cent more than the permissible levels, due to which people who are depending on the fishing activity in this river are likely to suffer.
"How can pollution control board give clean chit to off shore casinos when the reason for the high level of bacteria is release of sewerage. There is no other source of sewerage other than off shore casinos here," the spokesman claimed.
GSPCB had conducted the study following the directives of National Green Tribunal which is currently hearing the case against off shore casino vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read