Goa Congress leader Godinho in exit mode; open to joining BJP
Panaji: Senior Congress leader and Goa legislator Mauvin Godinho Saturday said he is considering quitting the grand old party and hinted at the possibility of joining the BJP.
Godinho, who has been accused of not working for the Congress` official candidate in South Goa during recent Lok Sabha polls, said some leaders in his party don`t want him to flourish within the organisation.
"Now a time has come perhaps to take a call whether to join some party or not," the MLA representing Dabolim constituency told PTI today.
"It is not out of my choice or my design that I am on the verge of taking a decision. It is people within the party who are pushing me out. What choice do I have ?" he questioned.
Godinho was the Deputy Speaker when Digambar Kamat was the Chief Minister. He was recently in news after his workers openly supported BJP candidate Narendra Sawaikar during the LS polls in South Goa.
"I have not made up my mind hundred percent but it is almost made up... Because I feel I am systematically being pushed out much against my wishes," said the Congress leader, adding that he is open to join Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
"Definitely, joining BJP is one of the option available before me. I don`t say it is the only option," said Godinho.
In 2006, the Dabolim MLA had filed a case of corruption against then Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar alleging scam in infrastructure creation of International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
He had demanded custodial enquiry of Parrikar after the CAG report pointed out wasteful expenditure in the IFFI infrastructure creation.
"I was used by Congress leaders to file case against him (Parrikar)," the leader said.
"I don`t hold the same view that he was guilty of anything. As far as IFFI is concerned, Parrikar lifted the face of Goa," Godinho commented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video