Goa: Congress ministers Churchill, Joaquim resign
Panaji: Goa Public Works department
minister Churchill Alemao and his brother, Urban development
minister Joaquim Alemao, on Saturday resigned from the state
cabinet and also as the members of Congress, protesting
against the disqualification of Churchill`s daughter, Valanka,
in the Indian Youth Congress (IYC) elections.
Churchill told reporters in Margao that he and his
brother, Joaquim, sent resignations to the Chief Minister
Digambar Kamat this afternoon, after Valanka was disqualified.
"I have also resigned from the primary membership of
Congress party," he said.
Chief Minister Digambar Kamat was not available for
comments, but sources said that he had asked Alemao brothers
not to resign and wait for a day.
But Churchill said both of them were firm on the decision
to quit, as "Congress is doing injustice to Valanka by
disqualifying her on flimsy grounds".
This dramatic development followed the announcement that
Valanka had been disqualified for taking part in any elections
of Indian Youth Congress (IYC) and Nationalist Students Union
of India (NSUI) for one year.
IYC Goa unit polls are scheduled for July 26 and 27, and
Valanka was a front-runner for the post of Goa Youth Congress
"As per the directions of FAME (Foundation For Advance
Management of Elections), Valanka Alemao has been disqualified
for contesting any elections for any post in IYC or NSUI for a
period of one year," IYC`s Zonal Returning Officer, Sumit
Khanna, said in the order today.
"The Election Commission of Indian Youth Congress
disqualifies the candidature of Valanka for the elections of
Goa State Youth Congress committee," the order further says.
Valanka was accused of misusing her father`s position to
Khanna said she was served show-cause notice on July 19
for violating the code of conduct, and she replied to it on
the same day. The reply was forwarded to FAME for the final
FAME found the reply unconvincing, and decided to
disqualify her, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row