Goa Congress MLA likens Narendra Modi to Indira Gandhi
Panaji: A Goa Congress legislator on Thursday compared Prime Minister Narendra Modi to late prime minister Indira Gandhi.
Speaking during the monsoon session of the state Assembly on a BJP-sponsored motion, Congress legislator Dabolim Mauvin Godinho congratulated Modi on becoming the prime minister and also lauded the former Gujarat chief minister`s work ethics, strong leadership and his ability to think "out of the box".
"He (Modi) has shown that he means business. We had seen something like this when Indira Gandhi was the prime minister," Godinho said.
Godinho has been at loggerheads with the Congress leadership in Goa over the past few months and had even refused to campaign for the party`s South Goa candidate Aleixo Reginaldo during the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Godinho went a step forward in his praise for Modi and even mildly reprimanded the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLAs for not moving a congratulatory motion on the first day of the monsoon session July 22, calling Modi`s mandate "historic".
Godinho said there was a lot to learn from Modi, especially his "work culture, ability to grasp subjects and control over his ministers".
"He works 18 to 20 hours a day. Which of our ministers work like this? Only our chief minister works as hard as the prime minister. Other ministers are not even available to public. Is this the example you are learning from your own prime minister?" Godinho asked the treasury benches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli