Goa Congress MLA likens Narendra Modi to Indira Gandhi
Panaji: A Goa Congress legislator on Thursday compared Prime Minister Narendra Modi to late prime minister Indira Gandhi.
Speaking during the monsoon session of the state Assembly on a BJP-sponsored motion, Congress legislator Dabolim Mauvin Godinho congratulated Modi on becoming the prime minister and also lauded the former Gujarat chief minister`s work ethics, strong leadership and his ability to think "out of the box".
"He (Modi) has shown that he means business. We had seen something like this when Indira Gandhi was the prime minister," Godinho said.
Godinho has been at loggerheads with the Congress leadership in Goa over the past few months and had even refused to campaign for the party`s South Goa candidate Aleixo Reginaldo during the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Godinho went a step forward in his praise for Modi and even mildly reprimanded the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLAs for not moving a congratulatory motion on the first day of the monsoon session July 22, calling Modi`s mandate "historic".
Godinho said there was a lot to learn from Modi, especially his "work culture, ability to grasp subjects and control over his ministers".
"He works 18 to 20 hours a day. Which of our ministers work like this? Only our chief minister works as hard as the prime minister. Other ministers are not even available to public. Is this the example you are learning from your own prime minister?" Godinho asked the treasury benches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state