Goa Congress questions eligibility of Assistant Solicitor General
Panaji: The Goa unit of Congress has written to the Prime Minister Narendra Modi objecting to appointment of Dattaprasad Lawande as an Assistant Solicitor General in the state, alleging nepotism.
"The Congress party takes strong objection to the high- handed appointment of Dattaprasad Lawande who is a close relative of Advocate General Atmaram Nadkarni. Lawande is a junior of Nadkarni and is working in his office," Goa Congress spokesperson Durgadas Kamat said in a letter to Modi on Friday.
The Union Law Ministry last week appointed Lawande.
"Though Goa has very seasoned and experienced advocates, we are pained to inform you that the Advocate General managed to elevate his inexperienced relative to the post," Kamat said in the letter.
When contacted, the Advocate General denied that he played any role in Lawande`s appointment.
"It is a well-deserved appointment. He is a most competent advocate," Nadkarni added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling