Goa cop accused of being Portuguese national
Panaji: A legislator heading an Assembly probe into Goa`s drug mafia and involvement of a politician`s son in it has accused a state police officer of being a Portuguese national. The police officer has denied the charge.
Francisco alias Mickky Pacheco on Saturday told a news agency that Superintendent of Police (South) Allen D`Sa was a Portuguese national and that he had documents to prove it. D`Sa is a senior policeman with nearly thirty years of service in the state police and was promoted to the rank of superintendent of police a few years back.
"D`Sa should be dismissed. I have submitted documents to the home ministry which show that he is a Portuguese national. He should be dismissed from service as is privy to a lot of sensitive information about Goa and India as an SP," Pacheco said, a day after he submitted the "evidence" to the government.
Pacheco claimed that D`Sa had availed of Portuguese citizenship in 2008 under a provision which allows Goans, whose parents were born in the pre-1961 Portuguese-held Goa, to avail of Portuguese citizenship.
The legislator`s outburst came a day after police sub-inspector Edwin Colaco, who is seen as a close acquaintance of the former minister, was suspended for dereliction of duty.
Pacheco heads a house committee, appointed a couple of months back, to probe into the alleged involvement of former home minister Ravi Naik`s son Roy in Goa`s drug mafia.
Pacheco himself faces several charges including those of bigamy, extortion, assaulting government servants as well as money laundering. Pacheco`s Goa Vikas Party has two legislators in the 40-member Goa Legislative Assembly.
D`Sa rejected the charges.
"I do not have Portuguese citizenship. I reject all these charges made against me. The government should initiate an enquiry if it wishes to probe the charge levelled by Mr Pacheco," D`Sa told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city