Goa cop to perform social work for dereliction of duty
Panaji: In a landmark order, Goa State Police Complaint Authority (GSPCA) has directed a police inspector to perform social service in ten gram panchayats across the state as a punishment for his refusal to register FIR in a custodial death case.
Vishwesh Karpe had refused registration of FIR in the custodial death case of NRI Cypriano Fernandes on January 15, 2011.
Cypriano had been arrested by Panaji police for trying to attack a woman. He was allegedly tortured in the police lock up. Several policemen, including then police inspector Sandesh Chodankar, were suspended pending inquiry.
Cypriano was declared dead at Goa Medical College and Hospital, a state-run facility which falls under the jurisdiction of Agassaim police station then headed by Karpe. He is currently attached to Anjunem police station.
Rights activist Jowett D`Souza had moved GSPCA demanding action against the officer for dereliction of duty.
GSPCA Chairman R M S Khandeparkar in his judgment has directed Karpe "to perform a social service in the form of educating members of ten different village panchayats of his choice about the existence, functioning, purpose and utility as well as the complaint disposal procedure followed by the GSPCA."
"Each village panchayat shall be from different talukas and five of them shall be from north and rest from south (districts)," the order said.
GSPCA directed the police officer to carry out social service even when he is not on duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'