Goa: Cops faced maximum suspensions under BJP rule
Panaji: Seventy-five government servants, nearly half of them policemen, had to face suspension on various counts after the Manohar Parrikar-led BJP government took over reins in Goa last year.
According to details tabled by Chief Minister in the ongoing session, the police department suffered maximum number of suspensions since March 8, 2012, when the BJP came to power in Goa, replacing the Digambar Kamat government after a massive victory in the Assembly polls.
Two Deputy Superintendents Of Police Shamba Sawant and Chandrakant Salgaoncar - and 35 subordinate police officials were suspended on various grounds.
Sawant was found guilty of sexual harassment at workplace while Salgaoncar was accused of shielding an accused in illegal mining case. Both officers were attached to elite crime branch of Goa Police.
Five constables were suspended after they were arrested by CBI for their alleged involvement in policemen-drug paddler nexus.
Several other police constables were handed over suspension letters for various reasons including one in which a constable shot obscene MMS and circulated amongst the cadre.
The Department of Mines stood second on the list of suspensions in Parrikar regime.
After Justice M B Shah report on illegal mining pointed out the alliance between mining officials and perpetrators of illegal mining, then Director of Mines, Arvind Lolienkar was the first senior official to be shown the door.
Lolienkar was suspended for his involvement in illegal extraction of ore. Six other officers from his department were suspended in view of findings about irregularities pointed out in Shah Commission`s report.
Dattatray Bhave, Assistant Geologist with department of Mines and Geology, who was among the six suspended officers, later committed suicide at his residence in Ponda town.
Three forest department officials including a Deputy Range Forest officer and two round foresters were suspended when they were caught by vigilance department while accepting bribe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report