Goa: Cops faced maximum suspensions under BJP rule
Panaji: Seventy-five government servants, nearly half of them policemen, had to face suspension on various counts after the Manohar Parrikar-led BJP government took over reins in Goa last year.
According to details tabled by Chief Minister in the ongoing session, the police department suffered maximum number of suspensions since March 8, 2012, when the BJP came to power in Goa, replacing the Digambar Kamat government after a massive victory in the Assembly polls.
Two Deputy Superintendents Of Police Shamba Sawant and Chandrakant Salgaoncar - and 35 subordinate police officials were suspended on various grounds.
Sawant was found guilty of sexual harassment at workplace while Salgaoncar was accused of shielding an accused in illegal mining case. Both officers were attached to elite crime branch of Goa Police.
Five constables were suspended after they were arrested by CBI for their alleged involvement in policemen-drug paddler nexus.
Several other police constables were handed over suspension letters for various reasons including one in which a constable shot obscene MMS and circulated amongst the cadre.
The Department of Mines stood second on the list of suspensions in Parrikar regime.
After Justice M B Shah report on illegal mining pointed out the alliance between mining officials and perpetrators of illegal mining, then Director of Mines, Arvind Lolienkar was the first senior official to be shown the door.
Lolienkar was suspended for his involvement in illegal extraction of ore. Six other officers from his department were suspended in view of findings about irregularities pointed out in Shah Commission`s report.
Dattatray Bhave, Assistant Geologist with department of Mines and Geology, who was among the six suspended officers, later committed suicide at his residence in Ponda town.
Three forest department officials including a Deputy Range Forest officer and two round foresters were suspended when they were caught by vigilance department while accepting bribe.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview