‘Goa determined to crack down on illegal mining’
Panaji: Goa Governor K Sankarnarayanan today
said the state government is committed to crack down on
illegal mining and the mafia involved in such activities.
"While permitting legal mining, my government is
determined to crack down on the illegal mining as also the
mafias involved in such illegal operations," he told the State
Addressing first session of the sixth Legislative
Assembly of Goa, Sankarnarayanan said no more forest areas
would be diverted for mining activity in the state.
He said mining has been a dominant industry providing
employment to a number of persons and contributing
significantly to the exchequer earnings.
"My government wishes to reduce dependency of the Goan
economy on this sector," he said.
Goa has witnessed massive illegal mining in the state
which is being probed by Centre-appointed Justice M B Shah
Commission and also by the state Assembly`s Public Accounts
Committee (PAC). The illegal mining is estimated to be around
Rs 1,200 crore to Rs 10,000 crore.
The Governor said government is aware of health problems
being faced by Goans residing in mining affected areas as well
as the degradation of forest and agricultural lands.
"The endeavour of my government will be to make all out
efforts to increase revenues from legal mining operation and
plough back substantial part of the revenue to provide better
infrastructure as also for reversal of environmental
degradation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam