‘Goa determined to crack down on illegal mining’
Panaji: Goa Governor K Sankarnarayanan today
said the state government is committed to crack down on
illegal mining and the mafia involved in such activities.
"While permitting legal mining, my government is
determined to crack down on the illegal mining as also the
mafias involved in such illegal operations," he told the State
Addressing first session of the sixth Legislative
Assembly of Goa, Sankarnarayanan said no more forest areas
would be diverted for mining activity in the state.
He said mining has been a dominant industry providing
employment to a number of persons and contributing
significantly to the exchequer earnings.
"My government wishes to reduce dependency of the Goan
economy on this sector," he said.
Goa has witnessed massive illegal mining in the state
which is being probed by Centre-appointed Justice M B Shah
Commission and also by the state Assembly`s Public Accounts
Committee (PAC). The illegal mining is estimated to be around
Rs 1,200 crore to Rs 10,000 crore.
The Governor said government is aware of health problems
being faced by Goans residing in mining affected areas as well
as the degradation of forest and agricultural lands.
"The endeavour of my government will be to make all out
efforts to increase revenues from legal mining operation and
plough back substantial part of the revenue to provide better
infrastructure as also for reversal of environmental
degradation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Did you know? India's first bullet train will run under water
- Selfie time! Alia Bhatt freezes frame with Shah Rukh Khan and Gauri Shinde's team – Pic inside
- If Priyanka Gandhi takes charge of Congress then BJP will face tough challenge: Ramdev
- 'Jai Hind' – this is how Air India will wish passengers now!
- Government vows to crack down on super-rich tax evaders