‘Goa determined to crack down on illegal mining’
Panaji: Goa Governor K Sankarnarayanan today
said the state government is committed to crack down on
illegal mining and the mafia involved in such activities.
"While permitting legal mining, my government is
determined to crack down on the illegal mining as also the
mafias involved in such illegal operations," he told the State
Addressing first session of the sixth Legislative
Assembly of Goa, Sankarnarayanan said no more forest areas
would be diverted for mining activity in the state.
He said mining has been a dominant industry providing
employment to a number of persons and contributing
significantly to the exchequer earnings.
"My government wishes to reduce dependency of the Goan
economy on this sector," he said.
Goa has witnessed massive illegal mining in the state
which is being probed by Centre-appointed Justice M B Shah
Commission and also by the state Assembly`s Public Accounts
Committee (PAC). The illegal mining is estimated to be around
Rs 1,200 crore to Rs 10,000 crore.
The Governor said government is aware of health problems
being faced by Goans residing in mining affected areas as well
as the degradation of forest and agricultural lands.
"The endeavour of my government will be to make all out
efforts to increase revenues from legal mining operation and
plough back substantial part of the revenue to provide better
infrastructure as also for reversal of environmental
degradation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi