Goa: Excise licenses of 14 bars suspended
Panaji: Excise licences of 14 restaurants
and bars, including Curlies Shack on Anjuna beach which became
infamous in the Scarlett Eden Keeling death case, have been
suspended for violating the election code of conduct.
State Excise Commissioner P S Reddy said here today that
the licences were suspended in the past two days.
The bars and liquor outlets have been asked to shut down
by 11 pm until the March 3 Goa assembly polls.
Of the bars against which action has been taken, 10 are
from the tourist areas of Calangute, Anjuna, Candolim and
Arpora, including Curlies Bar and Restaurant.
The shack was in the news after the death of British
teenager Scarlet in the area four years ago. Investigation had
revealed that Scarlett used to spend time at this shack.
Reddy said that licences were suspended for operating
beyond the permissible time, not maintaining records of liquor
sales/ purchases and other violations.
They have been issued notices, giving a week to explain
why the licences should not be cancelled.
Excise officials have confiscated more than 22,000 litres
of alcohol after the code of conduct came into effect. The
department has been asked to ensure that liquor is not used to
woo the voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured