Goa farmers to have interest-free loans: Parrikar
Panaji: Farmers in Goa will soon get Identity Cards (IDs) with electronic chips which will contain all details about their crops, land holdings, borrowing and farming history.
Making this announcement on Monday, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said the state Agriculture Department will give these cards to farmers, who will be loaned interest free money by state-run Economic Development Corporation (EDC) for six months depending on their crops.
The farmer can get upto Rs 20,000 per acre advance money which will be interest-free for six months, Parrikar said.
The work to compile a database would begin in next two months. The cards will have all the information about the farmers, including his cultivation and also farmland owned by him.
"This card will be ten times better than Kissan Credit Card given by Union government," Parrikar claimed adding that the cards can be used to avail all farmers related government schemes.
The Goa government, he said, targets 6 per cent annual growth in agriculture for the current financial year, which would be scaled up to 10 per cent for the next financial year.
The Chief Minister said the government is also working on minimum support price for ten varieties of locally grown vegetables.
"The state-run Horticulture corporation will implement this scheme. The farmer can produce any amount of vegetables and we will support them with the minimum price," he said.
The Goa government has also decided to review its earlier policy and allow arm licences for the farmers to protect their crops from menacing animals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- PM condoles death of Naga leader Isak Swu
- Photo alert! Divyanka Tripathi and Vivek Dahiya’s pre-wedding shoot looks like a fairytale
- Watch: Tiger Shroff, alleged girlfriend Disha Patani's sizzling chemistry is unmissable in 'Befikra'!
- Three Naxals shot dead by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- Drug that helps addicts may benefit cancer patients too